1. In order to be healthy, the human body needs 91 essential nutrients (essential is defined as that which the body cannot make on its own), nutrients that the body needs on a daily basis.
  2. A deficiency in just one of the 91 essential nutrients can cause over 900 different diseases.
  3. Replenish the deficiency, provided the diseased tissue hasn’t reached the point of no return, and the disease will go away. Yes, it will repair itself and eliminate the disease. The human body has an amazing ability to heal provided it is given the raw resources and healthy nutrition to do so.
  4. There are four categories of these essential nutrients: 60 Minerals, 16 Vitamins, 12 Amino Acids, 3 Essential Fatty Acids (EFA)
  5. Cholesterol is a VERY necessary nutrient manufactured in the liver. It is not considered essential because the body can manufacture it on its own, however, only to the tune of about 25%. The remaining 75% of the cholesterol that the body needs is derived from diet.
  6. The minerals that our body needs on a daily basis are only found in water and soil. Animals and plants can’t make minerals. They too need them in order to thrive and flourish as nature intended although they may not need all 60 as humans do for optimum health. Our soil was deficient back in the 1930’s. Think that has changed over the years? It hasn’t and in fact, it has only gotten worse.
  7. Some soil minerals are present in their metallic molecular form. Examples are calcium, iron, magnesium and selenium. The human body has a hard time using these types of minerals, however, plants are able to metabolize these same minerals and convert them to their colloidal form which is more than 95% absorb-able and useable by the human body. Now you know why we need to eat plant based foods. It’s not just about their fiber content.
  8. Vitamins are obtained from many sources. It is nearly impossible to tell the true amount of vitamins present in any particular food at any given time. There are too many variables present to measure it for certain as in size, sunlight exposure, interactions between other elements during growth process, etc. All we have to go on are approximates. It can be relatively easy to become deficient in a particular vitamin.
  9. Amino acids comes from protein and are important for the repair and maintenance of body tissue as well as for immune support. I didn’t know this until recently that our immune system is mostly protein based. Proteins are broken down in the stomach where they are turned into amino acids. Now you know why chicken soup is good for a cold. The protein from the chicken is turned into amino acids which in turn are immune supporting. One of the best sources of protein come from chicken eggs. The jury is still out as to how much protein should be present in the daily diet and I’ll keep digging until I find the answer to that one. It may turn out that it is anywhere from 5 to 60 percent of the total nutrition intake on a daily basis but as of the publishing of this article, I am still uncertain how much protein is enough on a day to day basis.
  10. Finally we address essential fatty acids, aka EFA’s. They are found in fish and plant oils. There are three fatty acids that are necessary to maintain health and they are Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9. These oils are very delicate and should not be processed the way they are today because they will oxidize with time and can actually become rancid and toxic when heated. This includes olive oil. When it comes to cooking, coconut oil is by far the best oil out there in addition to being the oil with the least amount of calories per serving. All oils have a short shelf life and should be purchased in small quantities to insure their freshness.

I know this is a lot to digest, literally. But this will give you an idea of what we are up against. Explore the education section of our website. You will learn more about vitamins and minerals, what to take, how much to take, what the symptoms of a deficiency are and/or of taking too much of a particular substance, etc. We will also be recommending brands that are adequate and brands that are not and we will tell you why we make the recommendations that we do. There was a time when I thought I was over doing it with regard to taking supplements. Now I am here to tell you that this is not correct. The FDA daily recommended requirements are way too low for many of these essential nutrients and we are starving our bodies because of it. In addition, processing does matter. Given the correct supplement that is produced through natural, organic and life enhancing ways is vital to living life free of disease and full of vitality and wellness.