IDKT (I Didnt Know That)

Speaking Up ~ Speaking Out

23 Oct

Fight Toe Nail Fungus Using Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar – UPDATED

Posted in Alternative Healthcare, Hydrogen Peroxide on 23.10.14

IDTK (I didn’t know that) …. Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar could actually rid a toe nail of fungus.  I was not convinced but I was certainly willing to give it a try.  I figure I had everything to gain and nothing to lose so it was worth a shot.

My quest started when I read an article written by Judy Stouffer, B.S., M.S., SFO and Michael Stouffer, B.S., SFO.  Actually Judy and Michael documented the procedure in an effort to combat their own outbreak of toe nail fungus.  They did it with great success.  I figured if it worked for them, it could work for me and then I would share the knowledge with my following.

The recipe for success involves the use of 5% vinegar and 2% hydrogen peroxide.  You’ll need to dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide to a 2% solution by adding distilled water.  This will make the solution slightly less caustic on the exposed skin.  On day one, soak your toes in the vinegar solution for approximately 5 minute.  On day two, do the same thing but use the hydrogen peroxide solution instead.  Alternate days and continue this practice for three (3) weeks.  Keep alternating back and forth; one day vinegar and the next hydrogen peroxide.  WARNING:  never mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar together, as that forms peracetic acid, a caustic chemical with entirely different properties.

What the Stouffer’s found after three weeks, was that there was new healthy nail growth beginning to show up at the base of the toe nail.  After approximately seven months, healthy nail continued to grow from the base of the nail.  Remember they only did the soak for three weeks.  It seems as though the healing continued long after the treatment ended.  Approximately 15 months later, the entire toenail and nail bed were healthy and free of any signs of fungal infection.   More than 4 years later, the toe nail remains free of any signs of fungus.

My outcome was a bit different.  I found that there was substantial improvement after three weeks which prompted me to want to continue, but in a different way.  I took two small spray bottles and labeled one vinegar and the other peroxide.  At night before I went to bed, I would spray my nails in the same fashion, one night spraying with the same vinegar solution I used for the soak and the next night spraying with the same peroxide solution.  Soaking my toes every night was just too daunting a task beyond the three week window so this has proven to be an excellent alternative.  I also increased the strength of the peroxide to 3%.  I had no adverse reaction to doing this.  The peroxide didn’t bother my skin at all.

My fungus has been with me for more than 40 years so it is taking longer but the improvement is undeniably remarkable.  I use a file to take the top layer of nail from my nail bed; just a light dusting with a nail file does the trick and seems to help the condition of the nail overall.  If you are wondering what type of file, it is an electric device similar to what they use in nail salons.  The fine tip file allows me to get to the entire nail.

I feel like I’ve stumbled on the long lost solution to a common problem and I’m thrilled.  I still continue to spray to this day.  I just look at it as part of my daily grooming regimen.

NYK (now you know).  Donna Appel, A Voice For Change!

12 Comments »

2 comments on this topic

1. Sarah says:

I recently stumbled upon the same article you have referenced about toenail fungus and I was wondering how your progress has been? Did it take about 15 mo for you to have it grow out? Did the fungus return? How long did you complete the spray regimin? Thanks!

1. Donna Appel says:

Hi Sarah
      I’m still a work in progress but it does work and maybe 6 out of 10 toenails are totally healed and fungus free. i just keep at this as often as i remember. what you really need to do is rid the body of candida and make sure you don’t have any gluten sensitivity. that is what i have been focusing on lately. it is really important in the overall scheme of things. you are basically rotting from the inside out so you want to get this internally as well. it is usually hanging out in your intestinal area. I hope this info helps. My new website will be up and running in a couple of weeks and I’ll be talking about this there. Visit my website in a couple of weeks and see what you think. Hope you are well, happy and have a super week. All the best, Coach “D”

1. Donna Appel says:

A reminder too Sarah – Listen to The Doc and Donna Show on the radio too – here are some recordings from past shows

we are also on the web Monday at noon eastern time on contact talk radio – don’t miss us live each Monday – you can talk to doc and ask a question. We are all about education. Hope to hear from you then.

have a super day. All the best, Coach “D”

1. Olin Lifsey says:

Whenever i have nail fungus, what i would usually do is put some anti-fungals on the nail surface.*:,,”

1. Donna Appel says:

Hello Olin …

I have found anti-fungals don’t work very well and they can be expensive. Plus, once you discontinue their use, the fungus returns.

I have had much better luck with food grade hydrogen peroxide and alternating that with vinegar soaks (don’t mix them together). You also need to approach the issue from the inside of your body, clearing up allergies and candida albicans yeast. Both can play havoc on your body and upset its natural balance of good bacteria.

1. laurie says:

Please explain more precisely how to dilute the hydrogen peroxide w water and if I need to dilute the vinegar — what proportions do I use with water? Thank you!

1. Robert says:

Yes, could u please describe the part when you say dilute it with 1% water pplease, thank you!

1. Donna Appel says:

I recently have been using 50/50 solution of water to white vinegar and I use peroxide 3% right out of the bottle without diluting it. I haven’t noticed any adverse reactions or difference from when I diluted it slightly more. Good luck.

1. Donna Appel says:

I used to dilute it more but recently have been using 50/50 solution of water to white vinegar and I use peroxide 3% right out of the bottle without diluting it. I haven’t noticed any adverse reactions or difference from when I diluted it slightly more. Good luck.

1. Donna Appel says:

I was diluting it a bit more in the beginning but recently have been using 50/50 solution of water to white vinegar and I use peroxide 3% right out of the bottle without diluting it. I haven’t noticed any adverse reactions or difference from when I diluted it slightly more. Good luck.

1. Donna Appel says:

In the beginning I would dilute it a bit ore but now I use a 50/50 solution of water to white vinegar and I use peroxide 3% right out of the bottle without diluting it. I haven’t noticed any adverse reactions or difference from when I diluted it slightly more. Good luck.

1. Donna Appel says:

Sure – now I put 50/50 white vinegar to water in one squirt bottle and I use 3% peroxide right out of the bottle that I purchase it in. It is working great. Thanks for visiting. Good luck.